PDA

View Full Version : Tagalog to English

neyx
03/22/08, 11:12 AM
I know some of you have (a) certain word(s) in Filipino (Tagalog) that you don't know in English yet.

For those of you who have any Filipino (Tagalog) words in mind that you want to be translated in English just post it here.

I'll start and i hope i get some answers - what is 'gigil' in English? or how do say 'nanggigigil ako sa baby mo?'

*Note to Admin:
please excuse the tagalog words i had to write them down. i know that we have a rule that says no using of tagalog language but this really is important, especially for beginners.

iamaspeaker
03/22/08, 11:14 PM
I've been looking for an english word for "gigil" for years and still I can't find the exact word that would describe that. But how about "inis' OR "naiinis"? It's not really the word irritating, but that's the closest that I can think of.

nancydrew
03/22/08, 11:57 PM
How about the word," sayang" I still cant find the appropriate english word for it.

cmo
03/23/08, 02:42 AM
How about the word," sayang" I still cant find the appropriate english word for it.

I learned that "sayang" is: "It's a pity!" :)

ctivnan
03/23/08, 02:47 AM
I've been looking for an english word for "gigil" for years and still I can't find the exact word that would describe that. But how about "inis' OR "naiinis"? It's not really the word irritating, but that's the closest that I can think of.

The word "inis" is annoy in English. :fishin:

Zahir
03/23/08, 03:21 AM
I'll start and i hope i get some answers - what is 'gigil' in English? or how do say 'nanggigigil ako sa baby mo?'

I don't think there is an equivalent translation for this word. It depends on the context.

Say, "nanggigigil ako sa baby mo" is I feel excited or googly over your baby.

If you are really angry, you are trembling with rage.

veron
03/23/08, 03:42 AM
The word "inis" is annoy in English. :fishin:

"inis" can also mean pissed-off, isn't it?

patis
03/23/08, 04:18 AM
there are tons of tagalog words that don't have english counterparts. in the same vein, there are english words that don't have tagalog translations. this is due to several reasons. one is cultural differences, like the examples you have given. we have no direct, word for word translation for gigil, inis, sayang; we have to make a whole new phrase or sentence to enable context to make up for the meaning lost in crude translation. for example, we have several varieties of rice, cooked and uncooked alike. we have palay. then we have bigas. these are both rice in english, but to qualify them we use modifiers, such as unhusked rice and husked rice. also we have kanin - boiled rice. another entirely different word but merely qualified in english. the list goes on: we have bahaw (cold boiled rice?), then sinangang (fried left over rice?). you see, these words don't exactly translate well. another example would be coconuts. we have buko (young coconut? that would get confusing when we incorporate ubod, which is young coconut shoot, but not exactly a shoot in a general conception), and niyog, and then we have gata, kakang gata, walis tingting, palapa, among others.

the point in this is that we cannot hope to have perfect translations to each and every word, it would be futile. we don't have snow in the philippines, so how can we expect to have a tagalog translation for that? the more convenient method is to absorb the other language and incorporate them into one's own. example: boondocks. yep, it came from the tagalog bundok, and it means the exact same thing. the word rendezvous is french in origin, turban and fez is definitely not english.

ctivnan
03/23/08, 05:12 AM
there are tons of tagalog words that don't have english counterparts. in the same vein, there are english words that don't have tagalog translations. this is due to several reasons. one is cultural differences, like the examples you have given. we have no direct, word for word translation for gigil, inis, sayang; we have to make a whole new phrase or sentence to enable context to make up for the meaning lost in crude translation. for example, we have several varieties of rice, cooked and uncooked alike. we have palay. then we have bigas. these are both rice in english, but to qualify them we use modifiers, such as unhusked rice and husked rice. also we have kanin - boiled rice. another entirely different word but merely qualified in english. the list goes on: we have bahaw (cold boiled rice?), then sinangang (fried left over rice?). you see, these words don't exactly translate well. another example would be coconuts. we have buko (young coconut? that would get confusing when we incorporate ubod, which is young coconut shoot, but not exactly a shoot in a general conception), and niyog, and then we have gata, kakang gata, walis tingting, palapa, among others.

the point in this is that we cannot hope to have perfect translations to each and every word, it would be futile. we don't have snow in the philippines, so how can we expect to have a tagalog translation for that? the more convenient method is to absorb the other language and incorporate them into one's own. example: boondocks. yep, it came from the tagalog bundok, and it means the exact same thing. the word rendezvous is french in origin, turban and fez is definitely not english.

A very good point, patis! Each language has its own realities which makes it more difficult to get the direct translation for some words. :thanks:

ctivnan
03/23/08, 05:13 AM
"inis" can also mean pissed-off, isn't it?

Yes, it also does. It's just that it's slang. :burnout:

neyx
03/23/08, 10:14 AM

wahaha what a funny word 'gigil' is one friend of mine his an American and he has a girl friend also a filipina and his gf always tells him "nanggigigil ako sa yo" he kept on asking what 'gigil' is. and i said i couldn't tell. i really don't know but i feel that there is an exact word for it and i just can't find it. its just that we dont usually hear it. there are lots of words with almost the same meaning but has an exact definition to it. like personality and characteristic

when people say you have a nice personality or you have a unique characteristic it almost sounds like it has the same meaning but each words has its own exact definition therefore makes it different. i will try my best to find out what 'gigil' is even if i had to read the dictionary from cover to cover hahaha. along the way of finding it, i may also find new words to learn.

neyx
03/23/08, 10:28 AM
word recap:

"gigil or nanggigigil" - ...
"inis" OR "naiinis" - annoy
"sayang" - pity (it's a pity) but i also use waste (what a waste)

neyx
03/23/08, 10:40 AM
I don't think there is an equivalent translation for this word. It depends on the context.

Say, "nanggigigil ako sa baby mo" is I feel excited or googly over your baby.

If you are really angry, you are trembling with rage.

rage would mean in tagalog as nanggagalaiti sa galit.

neyx
03/24/08, 06:41 AM
"Masugid" - Fervent

e.g. "Masugid na manliligaw" - Fervent admirer

neyx
03/24/08, 06:59 AM
i found this site about how babies grow up so fast and there was a line there that she felt the word "gigil" but couldn't define it she just say she "grits her teeth"

Want to know what I really think of this little girl? I had to have little chips in my teeth smoothed out. The chips were caused by my gritting my teeth when I see her or pick her up. I grit them in a "I can't stand it how much I love you" kind of way. Weird? Okay fine, Anna understands, she does it too.

http://fertlmertl.blogspot.com/2008/01/paulina-turned-1-on-grandma-julies-60th.html

and another blog that gives the definition of "gigil" about a feeling but doesn't know what the exact word is

"You know those moments--the ones where you grit your teeth, find that little pocket of extra Mama love somewhere deep down, and remind yourself that you do, in fact, adore your child, to the moon and back ten thousand times, despite the frustration you're feeling right this very second"

http://littlebuggas.blogspot.com/

i found one in an English-Tagalog dictionary the word "gigil" means gritting of the teeth.

ctivnan
03/24/08, 07:35 AM
"Gigil" can also approximately translate to go gaga over someone, tingle with ressesed emotion, or grit the teeth with anger.

Apparently, it all depends on the context you're going to use the expressions.

Just my two cents... ^^

:thanks: for the translations, Neyx! ^^

neyx
03/24/08, 12:20 PM
"Gigil" can also approximately translate to go gaga over someone, tingle with ressesed emotion, or grit the teeth with anger.

Apparently, it all depends on the context you're going to use the expressions.

Just my two cents... ^^

:thanks: for the translations, Neyx! ^^

yes yes go gaga hahaha :D :yey: yay! :yey: thank you ctivnan

rsveneracionph
03/24/08, 12:24 PM
There are many Tagalog words which we cannot translate in English. It is a fact. The best thing to do is to read the original, we can transliterate it later.

ctivnan
03/24/08, 12:29 PM
There are many Tagalog words which we cannot translate in English. It is a fact. The best thing to do is to read the original, we can transliterate it later.

You've nailed it! ^^

neyx
03/24/08, 12:36 PM

weee! to rsveneracionph :D

Arbitrary
03/25/08, 10:20 AM
I got a few words that I have difficulty in recalling their english counterparts.

Here are some :

Panglaw
Asam
Daluyong
Lagom

Thank you in advance. ;)

neyx
03/25/08, 10:51 AM
I got a few words that I have difficulty in recalling their english counterparts.

Here are some :

Panglaw
Asam
Daluyong
Lagom

Thank you in advance. ;)

Panglaw -loneliness/sadness/gloom
e.g "mapanglaw na mga mata" - sad or gloomy eyes

Asam -yearning/longing
e.g "inaasam-asam" - yearning for

Daluyong -tidal wave
e.g "malaking daluyong" - a big tidal wave

Lagom -summary.
e.g "maayos na paglalagom ng katotohanan" - a good summary of facts

:eek::ouch::eek:
wheew! that was hard

Arbitrary
03/25/08, 11:59 AM
Thanks, though I can't fully accept that of "Daluyong". It's not quite the word for tidal wave for me. XD

More to come.

neyx
03/25/08, 12:05 PM
Thanks, though I can't fully accept that of "Daluyong". It's not quite the word for tidal wave for me. XD

More to come.

haha i got it from the net :D

daluyong: Word: daluyong
English Definition: (noun) tidal wave
Source: http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Tagalog/
http://www.bansa.org/dictionaries/tgl/?dict_lang=tgl&type=search&data=daluyong

patis
03/25/08, 12:20 PM

Here are some :

Panglaw
Asam
Daluyong
Lagom

Thank you in advance. ;)

panglaw - creeped out [we use this in the tagalog provinces when we refer to those who are scared of ghosts and other supernatural things]
asam [as in inaasam-asam] - hope, or desire
daluyong - big wave, mostly due to strong wind
lagom [as in paglalagom] - summarize, or gist [paglalagom is summary]

edit: yep, yearn is closest to asam LOL

neyx
03/31/08, 05:08 AM
panglaw - creeped out [we use this in the tagalog provinces when we refer to those who are scared of ghosts and other supernatural things]
asam [as in inaasam-asam] - hope, or desire
daluyong - big wave, mostly due to strong wind
lagom [as in paglalagom] - summarize, or gist [paglalagom is summary]

edit: yep, yearn is closest to asam LOL

thanks patis i didn't know that panglaw also meant creeped out :D

ctivnan
04/08/08, 08:18 AM

I saw this while reading an article ('Sayang')in Inquirer and thought it might help.

In the Philippines, we’ve only kept that last meaning. We sigh our “saying” -- what a waste, what a pity -- in many contexts, from having to throw out uneaten food, to having put in time, effort and money for a task, or a person, and getting nothing in return. It figures, too, in love when it is hapless, unrequited or -- let me sigh again -- betrayed.

Source: http://business.inquirer.net/money/columns/view/20080215-118952/Sayang

loe
04/08/08, 12:35 PM
Wow! Filipino is hard!

neyx
04/23/08, 01:48 AM
Wow! Filipino is hard!

Yes but English is harder and crazier :D

tarush
04/23/08, 05:36 AM
very informative patis...thanks

manilaenglis
04/23/08, 09:03 AM

I believe this has already been answered, but maybe people are still replying. So, since I'm learning Tagalog, I thought I might as well look it up in my dictionary and share the entry with you.

sayang: n. pity; wasting; interj. too bad, what a shame, what a waste; masayang v. to waste away; sayangin v. to waste.

Maria_maria
04/23/08, 09:19 AM
There's a Singaporean writer named Gopal (he just signs "gopal" without capitalizing the 'G') who wrote a book entitled "Sayang." He explains it as a great feeling of regret.

Indeed, no English word can express how we feel when we say that something is "sayang".

gopal reveals that "sayang" is actually a Southeast Asian word -- and it supposedly means the same thing in different countries in Southeast Asia.

So... anyone here from other SEA countries who could verify the use of "sayang" in their language?

manilaenglis
04/23/08, 10:14 AM
Would it be sayang if a person won the lottery and died the next day?

Maria_maria
04/23/08, 10:18 AM

I guess it would... although the person who died wouldn't be able to feel the regret. I actually read a story like that. I think it happened in the States... or is that just an urban legend?

manilaenglis
04/23/08, 10:58 AM
I guess it would... although the person who died wouldn't be able to feel the regret. I actually read a story like that. I think it happened in the States... or is that just an urban legend?

It's part of a song.

Alanis Morissette
"Ironic"

YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY)

Lyrics provided by AZLyrics.com (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/alanismorissette/ironic.html)

An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."
And isn't it ironic... don't you think

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...

Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out

patis
04/23/08, 12:50 PM

That would be ironic, not a pity. LOL And you guys beat me to it at the Alanis song.

But seriously, wouldn't that be not ironic? I mean, "ironic" is something that happens that is other than what is expected. The song goes:

"An old man turned 98. He won the lottery and died the next day."

What would you expect? He's old! That's not ironic, that's just how things are when you're old!

"It's like rain on your wedding day."

It would be ironic if you 1) paid the weather announcement services to give you a forecast on your planned wedding, and they gave you sunny weather, and it turned out to rain (even then, you can't expect much from weather forecasts...) and 2) if you invested in some weather altering device to grant you sunny weather on the date and it rained.

"It's a good advice that you just didn't take."

That's not ironic, that's stupid.

"Who would've thought, it figures."

That's not ironic, either. We are human beings and one of the incapacities that we have is that we lack omniscience. And she said it right there: it figures.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing ironic about this whole thing is that a song entitled "Ironic" is not about irony at all, and that it topped the charts in the 1990s, when people weren't as dumb as they were back in the European medieval ages! Now, isn't that ironic?

Maria_maria
04/23/08, 12:56 PM
Right, I'm aware of the song "Ironic." Alanis Morissette was very popular here and she was one of my favorites.

According to this website, that a man died shortly after winning the lottery is a true story. The story is here: http://snopes.com/luck/dead.asp

Now, I didn't really verify my source as this is a net source. It's just interesting.

manilaenglis
04/23/08, 01:01 PM
That would be ironic, not a pity. LOL And you guys beat me to it at the Alanis song.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing ironic about this whole thing is that a song entitled "Ironic" is not about irony at all, and that it topped the charts in the 1990s, when people weren't as dumb as they were back in the European medieval ages! Now, isn't that ironic?

LOL. I was thinking the very same thing as I posted that. However, do you really consider rain on your wedding day when the weather forecast says clear skies to be "irony"? It doesn't matter though. I like the song. Anyway... you're right. I posted it because of the reference to winning the lottery and dieing the next day.

patis
04/23/08, 01:27 PM
LOL. I was thinking the very same thing as I posted that. However, do you really consider rain on your wedding day when the weather forecast says clear skies to be "irony"? It doesn't matter though. I like the song. Anyway... you're right. I posted it because of the reference to winning the lottery and dieing the next day.

Well, if you don't trust the weather forecast that much, then I don't suppose it would be ironic. LOL

manilaenglis
04/23/08, 02:43 PM
Well, if you don't trust the weather forecast that much, then I don't suppose it would be ironic. LOL

I lived in Korea for 3 years and had the weather report right on my desktop. It rained when it said clear skies! How annoying. At least in America they gave us a percent chance of how full of it they were! LOL.

I'm going to bed now, guys and gals. Thank you so much for giving me something to do during some of my free time.

neyx
04/23/08, 11:27 PM

For me it wouldn't be ironic. I don't trust PAGASA, that's why. :D haha

pinoypower
04/24/08, 06:15 AM
For me it wouldn't be ironic. I don't trust PAGASA, that's why. :D haha
The Met here in Bahrain is quite trustworthy and reliable. Their usual forecast is hot ,humid and hazy at times. I observed that they are right most of the times.:happy0141:

patis
04/24/08, 07:10 AM
The Met here in Bahrain is quite trustworthy and reliable. Their usual forecast is hot ,humid and hazy at times. I observed that they are right most of the times.:happy0141:

Is it because you don't really have that much variations in weather? LOL

chewi chewi
01/16/09, 11:53 AM
oh...

chewi chewi
01/16/09, 11:57 AM
Sayang actually means waste. if in past tense it means wasted.
If you put it in a sentence... like for example (gusto ko pa naman siya ang *sayang* talaga) then in english it would mean: I really like her what a waste...
So far, sayang means waste....
another sentence: (huwag mong sayangin ang oras ko)
Dont waste my time...

i hope that helped you :sowhat:

chewi chewi
01/16/09, 12:31 PM
(naiinis) or (inis) means annoyed or pissed off
if u put it in a sentence like this:
(ayoko sa iyo dahil nakakainis ka) - i don't want you because your annoying
inis is accompanied with anger.

(naggigigil) im a filipina but i really don't know how to translate so it's kinda weird for me and other Filipinos out there but remember we don't use to trasnlate things. But i can explain how "naggigil" is: it's actually for example...
*naggigigil ako sa iyo*
there are only two ways how nanggigigil is felt like. The first way is felt with too much desire and something u crave for, an urge. Everyone already felt this... yes it's right u grit your teeth right at the moment when u feel this gigil.
ex:
You have this terrier dog and he really looks very cute. Then suddenly you get the urge that you want to hug the dog so tight (a tight hug where it can't almost breath) or u say it... squeeze.
You can even say.. for instance- You want to hug your bf so tight and squeeze him like how an octupus squeezes a human and kills it. But no, gigil is a feeling where you get the urge to squeeze it tightly and u try to squeeze it on your mind, so ur tooth grits tightly until it's gonna like broke (just joking) so u don't kill it.
Gigil is a desire for an object, thing or person or anything at all
and because of your craving u feel *Gigil* You want it to be yours and do something abwt it with any way you can. Like how u feel over a food on the mall.

Gigil in the other way can also mean rage or madness. But this is only what it looks like and what other people can say because you grit your teeth and act mad. But it's not. *gigil* is just normal. If i could find this word i'll tell you guys immediately.

i hope that helped you...

chewi chewi
01/16/09, 12:35 PM
well yeah. the word irrittating or irritated can also mean naiinis. Annoyed or irritated are just familiar words

mimi
01/17/09, 02:00 AM
wheew! it was fathomless...hehehe....

mylabskie
08/09/09, 04:45 PM
hello! i'm a newbie wanting to learn english ....
having a hard time giving direction in english, wu'd somene translate to me "saan ka manggagaling?" and "baba ka ng jeep" in english. :thanks:

tcha
08/10/09, 03:45 AM
Let me try...
"saan ka manggagaling? "WHERE WILL YOU BE COMING FROM?
"baba ka ng jeep"...hmm I still have to find out.

pinoypower
08/10/09, 09:04 AM
hello! i'm a newbie wanting to learn english ....
having a hard time giving direction in english, wu'd somene translate to me "saan ka manggagaling?" and "baba ka ng jeep" in english. :thanks:

"Saan ka manggagaling?" can be translated as: Where will you come from? or Where will you be originating?

"Baba ka ng jeep" can be translated: (You) Alight from the jeep. or You disembark from the jeep.' Get down from the jeep.' would be more literal and will probably be the choice of many.

Hoping that my inputs helped you.

euqinimod
08/10/09, 12:13 PM
how about..
"pang-ilan"?
"Pang-ilan ka sa magkakapatid??"

mylabskie
08/10/09, 04:41 PM
thanks tcha!
thanks pinoypower!
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

kikoman
10/15/09, 03:15 PM
gigil is fondness to an exxagerated degree. so you can say i cant resist you if its positive.
or if you say nakakagigil ka, you say youre irresistible.
or when you say nakakagigil ka in an angry tone, you say youre getting on my nerves

pang-ilan ka sa magkakapatid or ranking can not be translated directly. that would be filipiinizing.
you can simply ask - among you and your simblings, where are you in your birth order?

hope that helps

hartford10
08/06/10, 01:58 PM
It sounds strange. It is a typical word that has odd meaning associated with. It is an English word.

johnwriter
08/07/10, 02:08 AM
No, there is no any change after translate that word in english langugae. Gigil and nanggigigil ako sa baby mo? has been same.

neyx
11/24/10, 12:05 AM
Gigil: Gritting of the teeth in adoration