Restrictions between regional units in mainland Greece and travel to and from Crete will cease from next Monday, May 18, as the third phase of lifting the measures imposed due to the corona pandemic comes into effect.
The same will happen for road travel in Evia, while restrictions on shipping will remain as they are for the other islands to which travel is expected to begin on May 25, if all goes well.
Also, from Monday, May 18, the internal travel by plane, KTEL and train will be opened, however, these movements will now be done under strict health protocols.
How to travel on buses and trains
For rail transport and intercity KTEL, tourist buses and private buses are allowed to fill seats up to 50% by May 31, when the framework will be reviewed, based on epidemiological data.
The use of a mask is mandatory for all means of passenger transport for all, while the same applies to air transport.
It also encourages the use of electronic applications, where they are available, for services such as ticket issuance and validation. Passengers are advised to keep a distance of 1-1.5 meters at the waiting areas and when boarding.
Service providers in all areas must:
- Inform passengers about hygiene rules and personal protection measures.
- To provide the staff with the necessary personal protective equipment (mask, gloves, alcohol antiseptic).
- Clean and disinfect passenger areas and contact points and machinery with special materials.
How to travel by plane
Regarding domestic air transport:
- The boarding is done in parts, in order to avoid overcrowding.
- Where there are boarding bridges, boarding is done only from the front door.
- Where possible, passengers are transported from the waiting room to the aircraft on foot.
- Where a track bus is used, the limit of 50% of its capacity is observed.
- Water, antiseptic and snack packages are placed at the entrance of the aircraft or at the boarding gate so that passengers can pick them up without the intervention of a third party.
- Immediately upon arrival at the airport, the aircraft must be cleaned in a cabin with an enhanced antiseptic program, before being delivered to continue its flights.
At the same time, the Civil Aviation Authority announced that the suspension of all passenger flights from and to Greece with Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands will be extended until 31 May 2020 at 23:59 and will be extended until June 14, 2020 at 23:59 the temporary ban on flights to and from Albania and Northern Macedonia.
At the same time, he announced that the ban on all flights to the Greek Territory regarding Turkey will be extended until June 14, 2020 at 23:59, while only at the Athens airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” (DAA), international arrivals/departures are allowed. flights, the specific aviation directive is valid until May 31, 2020 at 23:59.
According to the Civil Aviation Authority, the temporary ban on non-European citizens entering the country remains in force until 31 May 2020 at 23:59.
How to travel by ship
Regarding shipping, the rules provide for the following:
- Determining the maximum number of passenger passengers at 50% of the total number of passengers specified in the ship’s safety certificate, or at 55% if cabins are available.
- Thermometry and the completion of a special health status questionnaire before boarding the ship and maintaining it with the care of the shipping company. The questionnaire will also be available on a special website.
- The maintenance of a distance of 1.5 meters during boarding, disembarkation and in all areas of the ship.
- The use of each cabin by 1 person, unless it is a family (first-degree relatives), so it can be up to 4 people, or disabled with their companion.
- The use of a mask (fabric is recommended) by passengers and crew members.
- The special layout of the passengers in air seats (one seat occupied and one seat empty, adjacent, front and rear).
- Thermometry and the submission of a special health declaration, before departure, for the passengers of international ships on the Greek-Italian lines.
- Informing passengers about the measures with a printed brochure of EODY, as well as information spots and audio messages.
- Special crew training.
- The application of rules of personal hygiene and protection and the existence of antiseptic stations in various parts of the ship.
- Ship cleaning and disinfection.
- Ventilation and air conditioning of ships.
- The management of a suspicious incident (isolation in a special area, disembarkation at the next port which has the necessary capacity for its management, tracking of contacts, etc.)
- The rules of operation of passenger service points (bars, restaurants, dining rooms).