Tonight, Tuesday, the Resurrection will take place in the churches as – due to the measures against the spread of corona, the faithful did not have the opportunity at Easter to come to the Temples with their candle, to receive the Holy Light and to sing the Resurrected Christ.
“Today, Tuesday, May 26, in the Holy Vigil on the eve of the celebration of Easter, the Church will celebrate the Resurrection.” The circular, signed by the Archbishop’s Protosyggelos and Archimandrite Barnabas, Theocharis, was sent to all churches and monasteries.
With this, it is announced that on Tuesday, May 26, in the Diocese of Athens, there will be an Evening Doxology, from 9 pm to 1 am, during which the Divine Liturgy of Easter will be performed. In fact, Archbishop Ieronymos will officiate.
The Archdiocese urges that the same be done in all churches and monasteries, if possible, in order to “give the faithful the opportunity to revive the paschal joy, which they were deprived of due to the parody of the coronation.”
Wednesday is the Feast of the Ascension, 40 days after Easter, during which Christ was presented to his disciples 11 times.
According to the Archdiocese’s circular, “On the evening of Tuesday, May 26, 2020, at 11 p.m. The Midnight Sequence will take place on the night of Holy Saturday. At 11:45 the Holy Light will be transmitted and at 12:00 the Sequence of the Resurrection will be performed with a solemn bell ringing and then the Article and the Solemn Easter Divine Liturgy “.
It is noted that the conditions for performing any kind of liturgy or religious ceremony, including weddings and baptisms with the participation of believers in all places of worship of all religious communities, are valid from May 17 to June 5.
In particular, for places of worship that are more than 500 sq.m., the maximum number is 50 people. For example, a 400 sq.m. can accommodate up to 30 worshipers, while an area of worship of 800 or 1000 or 1,500 sq.m., can accommodate up to 50 people, who must maintain a distance of 1.5 meters between them.
In addition, there is a strong recommendation for the use of a mask, while the use of an antiseptic is mandatory. In the case of outdoor activities, it is clarified that the general rules on public responsible meetings apply.
- The person checking at the entrance will wear a mask and gloves.
- The loudspeakers will be open during the hours of the Divine Liturgy.
- There will be more Divine Liturgies where possible.
- Vulnerable groups should avoid leaving the house.
- At the entrance of the temples, there will be antiseptics.
- Their natural ventilation is mandatory while frequent and meticulous cleaning will be done.
- Believers with personal responsibility and care are advised to wear a mask.
- Distances between believers when attending the divine communion.
- The liturgies and the transport of holy relics are suspended until June 5.
- The Holy Mysteries will be performed inside the temple and will not be a sacrament in private temples.
- Meals will continue to be distributed through parcels.